Re: Revelation 1.9

From: Michael H Burer (burer@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 19:53:24 EST

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997 00:07:05 CDT Doug W Jantz <dwjantz@juno.com> writes:
>John says, "I WAS..." Past tense verb. Does it indicate that John
>left Patmos and wrote the Revelation at some point later??
>

>Doug W. Jantz - Preaching Minister
>Winona Christian Church - Winona, Missouri - U.S.A.
>M.Div. student in Old Testament - Harding Graduate School of Religion
>Memphis, TN
>dwjantz@juno.com or jantz@jjj.net

This may be true, but a decision about that cannot be made solely on the
basis of the past tense verb. The past tense verb here -- egenomhn --
simply is pointing out that at the time the events which he describes
began to happen to him the author was located on the island of Patmos. We
may be able to determine that he was indeed not on the island of Patmos
any longer when he was writing, but that would be based upon the
historical evidence and not this past tense verb. The author is simply
pointing out that at that time he was on the island of Patmos. We can't
say much more than that based on the verb.

Michael Burer
Dallas Theological Seminary
Th.M. Student
burer@juno.com