Re: PRWTOTOKOS in Col 1.15,18

From: Ronald Wong (dogtoy@isgroup.net)
Date: Mon Feb 24 1997 - 22:44:56 EST

Juan Stam B wrote:

> From: Juan Stam
> Subject: PRWTOTOKOS in Col 1.15,18
>
> I find it striking that the construction with PRWTOTOKOS has an important
> difference between 1.15 (genitive singular) and 1.18 (EK with genitive
> plural). In a passage so symmetrical and tightly structured, with very
> close parallelism in most of its members, why is the parallelism broken
> for this crucial expression? Can any reaon be given why the EK
> construction would be used in 1.18 but not in 1.15? Many thanks, Juan

Juan...maybe I'm missing your point here...
but KTISEWS though singular in form...is a collective noun in the sense
of representing all creatures (plural).
whereas TWN NEKRWN are plural...referring to either that Christ is the
PRWTOTOKOS of the ones who have already risen (Matt 27:52) or those who
will rise in the eschaton. (of course this is *theological*) sorry.

Ronald Wong
O'Brien, FL.