Re: Non-standard Greek fonts in Java applets

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Sun Apr 06 1997 - 01:40:00 EST

At 9:32 PM -0500 4/5/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I've written a flashcard program in Java, and I wanted to use it in applets.
>I haven't been able to get Greek fonts to work, though - Java generally
>limits you to a small number of fonts available on most systems. Can anyone
>give me some tips here? I want to be able to use any Greek font with this
>program.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jonathan

A somewhat different approach would be to make your own "font" out of
images (i.e. one image per character). And then bitblt them onto the
screen. You'd take a fit at the initial load time (althought it might not
be that when compared with the data thatyou'd already have to download.
But this would at least have the advantage of making _no_ assumptions about
the fonts resident on the client machine.

You certainly wouldn't want to do an extensive chunk of text like this; but
for a flashcard system, this might be workable.

Nichael
nichael@sover.net "Did I forget, forget to mention Memphis,
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/ Home of Elvis and the ancient Greeks..."