Re: Mnemonics for the order of the alphabet

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 08:45:32 EDT

At 5:19 AM -0500 4/14/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Somebody out there *has* to know a good
>mnemonic for remembering the order of the Greek alphabet. Would you like to
>share it with me?

This may be an instance of items requiring as an answer Euclid's "There is
no royal road to learning."

The mnemonic I use is:
"alpha-beta-gamma-delta-epsilon-zeta-eta-theta-iota-kappa,
lambda-mu-xi-omicron-pi-rho-sigma-tau-upsilon-phi-chi-psi-omega"

If you discover a better one, I'm all for it, but I do this sing-song
whenever I'm thumbing through a lexicon. And if you discover a good one,
you might have figured out how to memorize the telephone directory!

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018