phil 2:6

From: Andrew Kulikovsky (anku@celsiustech.com.au)
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 22:37:14 EDT

Filloi,

I was recently studying the hymn in Phil 2:6ff and looking at the
b-greek archives this passage is an FAQ. However, I noticed that no
great consensus or progress really came from these discussions.

Anyway I started reading Peter O'Brien's (a fellow Aussie!) commentary
on Philippians in the NIGTC series and found it quite enlightening.

Here is the verse:
OS EN MORFH QEOU UPARXWN OUX ARPAGMON HGHSATO TO EINAI ISA QEW

O'Brien, using the philological study of Hoover and CFD Moule, takes
ARPAGMON HGHSATO as an idiomatic phrase rather than simply looking at
the hapax legoma ARPAGMON in isolation. He states that the idiomatic
phrase implies exploitation for one's own purposes. The evidence is very
convincing and make good sense of the whole passage in context, and the
words of Jesus: " Not my will, but yours" when praying to His Father.

Therefore the translation should be something like this:
who being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God
something to be exploited for personal gain, but emptied Himself......."

Any other comments on this?

cheers,
Andrew S. Kulikovsky B.App.Sc(Hons) MACS
Software Engineer
CelsiusTech Australia
Module 6 Endeavor House
Fouth Ave, Technology Park