OU+PAS (Romans 9:6 reconsidered)

From: Jim Beale (beale@uconect.net)
Date: Mon Jun 02 1997 - 18:43:39 EDT

XAIRETE :-)

I've found two kinds of verses in which OU+PAS is found. In the
first kind, OU is construed with PAS. In these OU negates the
universal affirmative proposition producing a particular negative
proposition; ~(All a is b) becomes (Some a is not b). In the second
kind, OU is construed with the verb, producing a universal affirmation
(or negation depending on the way the relation is written). Of this
latter class are two important verses: Rom 3:20, Gal 2:16.

This means that OU, in Romans 9:6, is to be construed with PANTES
to the effect that OU negates the universal affirmative proposition,
"all who are of ethnic Israel are of elect Israel" to produce the
particular negative "some who are of ethnic Israel are not of elect
Israel." If OU was construed with the implicit verb EISIN, then the
result would be that no one of ethnic Israel was elect, which is
clearly not the case. This is what John Piper did, and I think it
is a mistake (though he did arrive at the correct result anyway!)

Here is my work (in case anyone is interested):

   OU PAS hO LEGWN MOI KURIE KURIE EISELEUSETAI THN BASILEIAN ...
   (Matthew 7:21)

"Not all who say to me "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom ..."
means that some who say to Him "Lord, Lord," will not enter the
kingdom.

   OU PANTES XWROUSIN TON LOGON TOUTON, ALL' hOIS DEDOTAI
   (Matthew 19:11)

"Not all have room for this saying, but only those to whom it has been
given;" clearly means that some to whom the saying comes do not find
a place for it.

   hUMEIS KAQAROI ESTE, ALL' OUXI PANTES.
   (John 13:10)

"You are clean, but not all;" means that some are not clean.
John 13:11 makes this very clear.

   OU PERI PANTWN hUMWN LEGW
   (John 13:18)

"I do not speak about all of you;" that is, I do not speak about
some of you.

   OU PANTI TWi LAWi, ALLA MARTUSIN PROKEXEIROTONHMENOIS ...
   (Acts 10:41)

"Not to all the people, but to witness having been chosen beforehand..."

   DIOTI EC ERGWN NOMOU OU DIKAIWQHSETAI PASA SARC ENWPION AUTOU
   (Romans 3:20)

"because by works of law will not be justified all flesh before him;"
which is to say, no one will be justified by works of law before him.
So also Gal. 2:16.

   OU GAR PANTES hOI EC ISRAHL, hOUTOI ISRAHL
   (Romans 9:6)

"For not all those of Israel, these [are] Israel." Some of those
who are of Israelite descent are not truly Israel.

   ... OU PANTES hUPHKOUSAN TWi EUAGGELIWi
   (Romans 10:16)

"Not all were obedient to the gospel." In spite of the fact that
the next verse strongly implies that the number who did obey the
gospel was very small, this still has the significance "some did
not obey the gospel." The answer to the question, "who has believed
our report" might be expected to be "no one;" but some few did
believe.

   PANTA MOI ECESTIN, ALL' OU PANTA SUMFEREI
   (1 Corinthians 6:12)

"All things are lawful to me, but not all things are advantageous."
Some lawful things are not advantageous. So also 1 Cor 10:23.

   OU PASA SARC hH AUTH SARC, ALLA ALLH MEN ANQRWPWN, ...
   (1 Corinthians 15:39)

"Not all flesh is the same flesh, but one of men, ..." Some kinds
of flesh are different from other kinds of flesh.

   ... OU GAR PANTWN hH PISTIS
   (2 Thessalonians 3:2)

"Faith does not belong to all." Not all men have faith; some do not
have faith.

   hINA FANERWQWSIN hOTI OUK EISIN PANTES EC hHMWN
   (1 John 2:19)

"so that they might be clearly seen that they all are not of us."
OU is construed with the verb, so that the resultant meaning is
"none of them are of us."