Re: Lampe

From: Mark Goodacre (
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 09:34:34 EDT

Bill Combs asked about the pronunciation of Geoffrey Lampe's surname.
Kevin Woodruff responded that he thought it two syllables. I am able
to inform you that it was in fact one syllable, pronounced like
'lamp'. He was Vice Chancellor of this (Birmingham) University for
some time, I think in the late 1950s or early 60s and I have often
heard people refer to him as 'Lamp'. One of his students, Mary
Tanner, has just received an honorary D.Litt. from Birmingham,
largely for her expertise as a Hebrew scholar.

I always think of him for famously wanting to dispense with the
doctrine of the Trinity. And that is really a topic that will not be
settled by the exegesis of the Greek text!

Good wishes

Dr Mark Goodacre
Department of Theology
University of Birmingham