Re: 1 co 1.3

From: GentlJoe@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 15 1997 - 18:52:15 EDT

In a message dated 97-08-13 03:35:32 EDT, jwrobie@mindspring.com (Jonathan
Robie) writes:

<< In other words, you see PATRWS hHMON KAI KURIOU IHSOU CRISTOU as "our
 father, and the father of the Lord Jesus Christ". Grammatically, I think
 that works.

>So why is this usually translated ...from God our father, and Master Jesus
>Christ?

 First off, APO takes a genitive, which is why QEOU PATROS is genitive. These
 translations assume that the APO also applies to Jesus, as in CARIS hUMIN
 KAI EIRHNH APO PATRWS hHMWN KAI [APO] KURIOU IHSOU CRISTOU.

 Since both translations are, I think, grammatically possible, which is more
 likely? Well, similar formulations are used in many letters, where they are
 less ambiguous. For instance, 2 Thess 1.1 says EN QEWi PATRI hHMWN KAI
 KURIWi IHSOU CRISTWi, and Gal 1.1 says DIA IHSOU CRISTOU KAI QEOU PATROS TOU
 EGEIRANTOS AUTON EK NEKRWN. I would guess that these letters are all saying
 similar things, so I would tend to side with the traditional interpretation.

>Is there a precedent about how to link genitives? The way usually
translated
>to me suggests polytheism.

 Please explain - I don't understand why it would suggest polytheism.

 Jonathan >>
God our father, and the Lord Jesus Christ, to my feeble skills, is a
distinction Paul spends much time in several place showing is not a
distinction. In 1 Corinthians 8.6 he says