Re: Jn 1:1, Colwell, Nelson Stdy Bible

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Sep 03 1997 - 09:08:27 EDT

Hi, Wes,

I think that your last post on this topic is really very good, and I'm glad
you posted it. Frankly, interpreting articles and the lack thereof still
make my head spin sometimes, but I don't think that Colwell's Rule or other
similar approaches match the data very well.

My personal take on the *context* makes me think that "the word was God" is
a better translation, but the grammar certainly *could* be read to mean "the
word was a God". The best translation, of course, would preserve this
ambiguity, but I don't think that is possible in Greek...

At any rate, I appreciate both the substance and the tone of your message.
Thanks!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com