Re: Definition Required

From: David L. Moore (
Date: Tue Sep 16 1997 - 18:40:09 EDT

Matt Bell <> wrote:
>I need a definition of the Gk word Kananites as used of Simon the Canaanite
>in Matthew 10:4. What, if any, is its relation to Luke's Simon Zelotes in
>6:15? Any information on the word would be greatly appreciated.

        The two terms are apparently references to Zealots in Aramaic and
Greek respectively. The late F. F. Bruce says, "The Zealots ... called
themselves by the Hebrew term _qanna'im_ or the Aramaic _qan'anayya_. The
apostle whom Luke calls 'Simon the Zealot' (Luke 6:15; Acts 1:13) is
referred to by the other Synoptic Evangelists as 'Simon the Cananaean' (Mark
3:19; Matt. 10:4)--'cananaean' being the Aramaic form supplied with a Greek
ending" (F. F. Bruce, _New Testament History_, [Doubleday: Garden City, NY,
1969], p. 93).

David Moore

David L. Moore
Miami, Florida, USA
Southeastern Spanish District of the A/G Dept. of Education
Home Page: