RE: Translation for O LOGOS (John 1)?

From: Jim West (
Date: Sat Oct 11 1997 - 16:22:19 EDT

At 04:07 PM 10/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 03:31 PM 10/11/97 -0400, Jim West wrote:
>>This translation is absolutely impossible on philological, etymological,
>>theological, and socio-liguistic grounds. A more inappropriate term could
>>not be found.
>I love challenges. How about "chicken-liver"?

chicken liver at least has the benefit of being more in touch with the
"fleshly" material side of logos and does not connote a non-corporeal, non
substantial (in the philosophical sense of the term) idea such as "soul"

(though I must, it seems, go on the record as also opposing "chicken liver"
as a poor selection) :>)

Jim West

Adjunct Professor of Bible,
Quartz Hill School of Theology