RE: Translation for O LOGOS (John 1)?

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Oct 11 1997 - 16:41:43 EDT

At 04:22 PM 10/11/97 -0400, Jim West wrote:

>(though I must, it seems, go on the record as also opposing "chicken liver"
>as a poor selection) :>)

But consider these passages:

John 1:1a EN ARCH HN hO LOGOS - "the first course was the chicken liver"
John 1:1c QEOS HN hO LOGOS - "the chicken liver was divine!" (some witnesses
add: "Recipe on page 47!")

Once we understand that LOGOS means chicken liver, it is clear that QEOS
must be understood as qualitative, and not definite or indefinite. Or how
about this passage, which reveals truths known to anybody who knows the
difference between Matzos and Gefilte fish:

Matt 28:15 KAI DIEFHMISQH hO LOGOS hOUTOS PARA IOUDAIOIS MECRI THS SHMERON -
"and the virtues of chicken liver are well known among the Jews even unto today"

However, it is difficult to know how to best translate passages like:

ESTW DE hO LOGOS hUMWN NAI NAI, OU OU.

I'd be interested to know how Carl, Edward, Edgar, and Carlton "feel" about
this.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com