Matt. 5 - porneia

From: Graeme Codrington (gj.cod@pixie.co.za)
Date: Wed Oct 01 1997 - 03:09:10 EDT

Hi,

Excuse my elementary questions, but I have once again been confronted
with the issue of divorce and remarriage, and going back to the
Biblical texts, once again am confused by all the literature on the
use of the word, porneia in Matthew 5:32 and 19:9's (in)famous
exception clauses.

Does porneia, NIV = "marital unfaithfulness" refer only to sexual
adultery (or fornication), or can it refer to other marital
misconduct. Also, could it have reference to withholding sexual
intercourse (cf. 1 Cor. 7:5-6 - and if this is so, what is the
meaning of verse 6?).

Graeme C
gj.cod@pixie.co.za
http://www.pix.za/atd/graeme