Re: Matt. 5 - porneia

From: Stephen C. Carlson (
Date: Wed Oct 01 1997 - 08:53:30 EDT

At 09:09 10/1/97 +200, Graeme Codrington wrote:
>Excuse my elementary questions, but I have once again been confronted
>with the issue of divorce and remarriage, and going back to the
>Biblical texts, once again am confused by all the literature on the
>use of the word, porneia in Matthew 5:32 and 19:9's (in)famous
>exception clauses.
>Does porneia, NIV = "marital unfaithfulness" refer only to sexual
>adultery (or fornication), or can it refer to other marital
>misconduct. Also, could it have reference to withholding sexual
>intercourse (cf. 1 Cor. 7:5-6 - and if this is so, what is the
>meaning of verse 6?).

If I may offer another suggestion, PORNEIA in Mt5:32 (but not necessarily
in Paul) may refer to those kinds of marriages that are forbidden by Jewish
Law in the first place. See Lev. 18 for a list.

Stephen Carlson

Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,              : and songs chant the words. :               -- Shujing 2.35