EIS - purpose or result?

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 11:28:13 EST

Thank you, Carl, for encouraging discussion on my question about
DIKAIOSUNH QEOU. I had been eagerly awaiting a response from you, and
hope that others join in.

Now ... Are there any rules for determining when EIS indicates PURPOSE
as opposed to RESULT? E.g., Romans 1:5 - "through whom we received grace
and apostleship EIS hUPAKOHN PISTEWS - i.e., to bring about (PURPOSE) -
OR - resulting in (RESULT) - obedience of faith among all the
nations/gentiles for his name's sake."? I probably would have assumed
PURPOSE, except in 1:8 Paul says that their faith/faithfulness is
proclaimed in the whole world - which could indicate that he views his
and others' apostleship as already achieving a measure of success, i.e.,
it has RESULTED in the gentiles believing and obeying the gospel. Is
this, too, as well as other instances where EIS can be taken either way,
a matter of one's theological predisposition?

"Eric S. Weiss"
eweiss@gte.net