Re: EIS - purpose or result?

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 13:11:09 EST

Harry Staiti wrote:

> Hi Eric.

> Per you question, it seems to me that the chiastic
> structure itself may give insight as to the product
> of Paul's thought. (snip)

Very interesting insight. While not at first obvious to me, the
possible/probable chiasms do merit further study

William Ramey, who has often posted to this list, has a home page on
chiasms at

   http://www.InTheBeginning.org

He has Dale Wheeler's (another B-GREEKer) analytical outline of Romans
1:1-8:39 (among other outlines) at:

   http://www.InTheBeginning.org/NT.html

The following two sentences from Mr. Wheeler's very helpful outline show
(if I'm reading him correctly) that he apparently considers the EIS
EUAGGELION QEOU in 1:1 to be RESULT and the EIS hUPAKOHN PISTEWS in 1:5
to be PURPOSE.

ANALYTICAL OUTLINE OF THE EPISTLE TO THE ROMANS
Romans 1:1÷8:39 By Mr. Dale M. Wheeler

2B. The result of Paul being called by God to be an apostle is that He
was appointed by Christ to preach the Gospel concerning the
Davidic descent and all-powerful appointment of Godâs Son to the
Gentiles. (1:1b-6)

2D. The purpose for which Paul was commissioned to be an
apostle was to bring about acceptance of Jesus as
the Messiah among the Gentiles, among whom the
believers at Rome live. (1:5b)

"Eric Weiss"
eweiss@gte.net