Re: John 1:3, hO GEGONEN

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov)
Date: Wed Oct 01 1997 - 14:27:08 EDT

My 3 cents worth:

Though I used to translate hO GEGONEN as the end of the sentence, after
I read and sounded aloud the prologue (and played with it in my mind)
for a while, I now believe that having hO GEGONEN begin the sentence
"feels" and "sounds" better - which apparently is the early church
punctuation, and the UBS/N-A punctuation, too. Purely a subjective
impression, and one could look up all John's usages of (hO) GEGONEN for
confirmation.

Note, though, that having hO GEGONEN begin the sentence fits nicely with
I John 1:1 and 1:3 with its series of [neuter relative pronoun + perfect
active indicative verb] constructions where the construction BEGINS,
rather than CONCLUDES, the thought.

"Eric Weiss"
eweiss@gte.net