Re: Little Greek Guide to Learning New Testament Greek

From: James H. Vellenga (
Date: Thu Oct 30 1997 - 11:37:14 EST

> Since this comment occurs in a footnote anyways, could I just lift your
> paragraph, and insert it as a quote in the footnote? I would probably do it
> something like this:
> Erasmian pronunciation. This is the pronunciation used here, and is based on
> the way that a medieval monk named Erasmus liked to pronounce Greek. It is
> almost certainly quite different from the way Greek was pronounced at the
> time of the New Testament, but it is widespread among scholars, and it has
> the advantage that every letter is pronounced, which makes it easy to grasp
> the spelling of words.
> Note: Carl Conrad says, "<your quote here>".
> Note: I agree with all of this. But he is STILL a medieval monk!
Well, maybe not. The Middle Ages is often dated as
"the period in European history between antiquity and
the Renaissance, often dated from A.D. 476 to 1453."

Erasmus lived from c.1466-1536, so that puts him in the
Renaissance period -- which accords with Carl's description
of him. My dictionary describes him as a "Dutch Renaissance
scholar and theologian," which is actually more of how I
think of him.

Jim Vellenga