Re: Jn.1:1b word order

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Sat Feb 07 1998 - 22:17:06 EST

On Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:21:39 EST WmHBoyd@aol.com writes:
>John 1:1b.
>Why is it KAI QEOS HN O LOGOS and not KAI O LOGOS HN QEOS?
>Does it mean the same? Is either more natural or common?
>Does it imply a special emphasis?
>What about translating this "And God the word was." ?
>If I read it out loud this way, and paused after saying "God," would I
>be capturing an emphasis on the word "God" that is in the origional?
>
>William the Barbarian
>Royal Palm Beach, Florida
>Sunny and in the 70's. Ahhhhhh.

William:

I copy and paste from the first paragraph of the conclusion to my Th.M.
thesis, "The Significance of the Anarthrous Predicate Nominative in John"
('75):

The use of the anarthrous predicate nominative in John is significant.
It is qualitative in 65 out of 74 occurrences, or 88% probability. When
the anarthrous predicate nominative precedes the verb it is
qualitatative in 50 of 53 occurrences, or 94% probability. When it
follows the verb the anarthrous predicate nominative is qualitative 13
of 19 occurrences, or 68%.

Paul, not the Apostle
Portland, Oregon
Overcast and in the 50s. Blah, but who's complaining?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]