Re: Jn.1:1b word order

From: Paul S. Dixon (
Date: Sun Feb 08 1998 - 10:54:59 EST

On Sun, 08 Feb 1998 06:26:30 -0500 Jonathan Robie <>
>At 11:43 PM 2/7/98 EST, Paul S. Dixon wrote:
>>Secondly, you seem to think that the translation "God" implies
>>definiteness. It does not, not any more than the anarthrous SARX
>>translated "flesh" in 1:14 implies definiteness.
>Actually, I agree with you completely on this point.
>>I defined a qualitative noun as one whose leading nuance (without
>>into whether a noun can have two or more nuances) is qualitativeness.
>>That qualitativeness is determined from the context (how's that for a
>>well-defined test?).
>A well-defined text would require two independent observers to agree
>based on clear criteria. "Determined from the context" doesn't really
>this criterion, and in our earlier discussions on this, different
>do seem to disagree as to whether the leading nuance of a noun is
>qualitative in many examples.
Actually, Jonathan, I had originally added a smiley (you know, :)), but
thought it too cute and the intent of the message too obvious, so
deleted it. Probably should not have deleted it. So, a little late,
but, hey, better late than never.

Paul Dixon

P.S. In case it is still not clear, I agree with you.

>Jonathan Robie
>Little Greek Home Page:
>Little Greek 101:
>B-Greek Home Page:
>B-Greek Archives:

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]