Re: genitive

From: Paul S. Dixon (
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 12:24:26 EST

On Mon, 09 Feb 1998 09:18:26 -0700 Glen Riddle <> writes:
>In Eph. 4.12 we have the phrase "be an example of the believers". I
>would take the genitive "of believers" as objective gen. However, to do
>so requires seeing a verbal force in the head noun, typos, which doesn't
>seem to be in the verb. The verb is not used in the sense of "be an
>example". Does anyone have a better category for this use of the
>genitive? Or, can anyone enlighten me on whether this should be a
>problem--seeing typos as a verbal noun but with a different semantic
>verbal force than one would find in the verb?
>glen riddle

I assume you meant 1 Tim 4:12 (but, since Eph 4.12 is the more difficult
reading, perhaps we should go with that :)).

At any rate, one could make an interesting case for taking TWN PISTWN as
a subjective genitive, the idea being that the example was meant to be
something for the believers to imitate.

Paul Dixon

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]