Re: John 8:7

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 20:24:04 EST

Vincent Broman wrote:

> jwest@highland.net wrote:
> > I cannot think of a single text critic in
> > any writing who has suggested that the pericope is genuine.
>
> Hodges and Farstad in the intro to their NT edition
> spend some time defending the pericope adulterae as
> part of the original text of John.
>
> My impression is: a number of writers have suggested
> that while the pericope is not due to John (or Luke)
> it still might well derive from a tradition of a real event
> in Jesus' life.
>
> Vincent Broman broman@sd.znet.com +1 619 284 3775

This same view was expressed to me a few years ago by Dr John Pryor at the
University of Sydney. I think it has a lot to commend it.

Regards!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Email: gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au

(Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm)