Re: YUCHN in Jude 15

From: Steven Cox (scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 09:36:03 EST

        Hello Paul
        Although it seems the choice between ELEGXAI PASAN YUCHN
        and ELEGXAI PANTAS TOUS [ASEBEIS] is primarily a textual
        issue, I would think that the first would better reflect
        1Enoch, as the book teaches an intercessor role for angels:

Enoch 9:3 And now to you, the holy ones of heaven, the souls of men make
their suit, saying, "Bring our cause before the Most High"

        "Holy ones" in 1Enoch (as distinct from Deut33:2 SUN MURIASI
        KADHS <transliterated from Hebrew K-D-SH>) means angels not
        men. In this way Jude picks on a passage which shows angels
        condemning men, which is the very antithesis of those men,
        DOXAS DE BLASFHMOUSIN, (v8) or OUTOI DE OSA MEN OUK OIDASIN
        BLASFHMOUSIN (v10). Considering that most of 1Enoch concerns
        the misdeeds of angels the following is one of the very few
        passages Jude could have chosen to make his point:

9 And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones
To execute judgement upon all, And to destroy all the ungodly:
And to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they
have ungodly committed, And of all the hard things which ungodly sinners
have spoken against Him.

        "All Flesh" may well be an Aramaic or Coptic gloss of
        a different text used by Jude [the translation above is
        RH Charles', made before the discovery at Qumran of Enoch
        in Greek, which is due for TLG 'E' no less].

        Regards
        Steven

   PS Tagalog PV readers are familiar with ELEGXAI PANTAS TOUS
        ("at parusahan ang lahat") how close is this to Ibanag?
        And how have you rendered TOUTOIS in 14? ("concerning"
        as Tagalog PV: "tungkol din sa kanila"??)