Re: On the Death of NT Scholars

From: Rod Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 06:40:52 EST

>On the Death of NT Scholars
>
>I remember sitting, waiting for a lecture on Soteriology, when our young
>professor John Feinberg stepped up to the podium and announced:
>
>"Rudolf Bultmann died today, and now he knows the truth."
>
> I never got around to pressing Feinberg on the sloppy thinking implied in
>this statement. Feinberg was not a sloppy thinker and there were one or two
>obvious problems with his statement.

I suspect that the same will be true of you--AND OF ME! (At least I hope
that TOTE EPIGINWSOMAI KAQWS KAI EPEGVWSQHN.) Such statements are normally
made "tongue in cheek" and are hardly worthy of ridicule. Of course, since
this was a "young" professor, that probably explains it?!

Rod

 Rodney J. Decker Baptist Bible Seminary
 Asst. Prof./NT P O Box 800
 rdecker@bbc.edu Clarks Summit PA 18411
 http://www.bbc.edu/faculty/RDecker/ This link ~may~ be working
 now -- but it is insisting on a password; I'll try to get that
 resolved soon. If it's not accesible, please stop back later.