Re: In the name of ...

From: Perry L. Stepp (
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 09:44:50 EST

> From: WmHBoyd <>

> Perhaps someone would explain to us the difference in "EV" the name (Acts
> 2:38) and "EIS" the name (Matthew 28:19). I have understood "EV" to be
> reference to authority, as in "Stop! "EV" the name of the law." While
"EIS" to
> be in reference to relationship, as in "Place the property "EIS" my
name." If
> this be the case "EIS" the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit would
> into the one same relationship with the three.

Several factors must be considered--check BDF, sections 205-207 for factors
influencing the interchange of EIS with other prepositions, including EPI
and EN. Does anyone know if BDF's conclusions have been superceded?

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. Candidate in New Testament, Baylor University
Keeper of the Top-10 List,
#1 Cowboy Homer

"Oh Adam's sons, how cleverly you defend yourselves
against all that might do you good!"
               --Aslan, *The Magicians Nephew*

Any system of morality which is based on relative
emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly
vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it
and nothing true.
               --Plato, *Phaedo* 69b