TI POIEITE LUONTES (Mk. 11:5)

From: Randy LEEDY (RLEEDY@bju.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 13:28:38 EST

Some days (weeks?) ago, before the crash, I posted this message and
received responses from Carl Conrad, George Athas and Peter Phillips.
Then, "POP" went the list, and the thread never got resumed. Perhaps
no one had anything else to contribute. I would like to float the
question just one more time, in case the crash cut off any responses.
Original post follows:

A friend of mine just called with a question that has intrigued me.
He was wondering about the use of the ptcp LUONTES in Mk 11:5: TI
POIEITE LUONTES TON PWLON?. Kind of an odd use by Koine standards,
but BDF suggests it was more common earlier (414). It seems natural
to render the question "Why are you untying the colt?", but the exact
English parallel "What are you doing untying the colt?" also sounds
natural. As I think about the difference in English between the
questions "Why..." and "What are you doing...", it seems to me that
the latter implies a stronger disapproval. The former could actually
be a request for an explanation, while the latter seems to imply an
objection to what is being done. If my young son is inserting a metal
object into an electrical outlet, I'm going to yell "What are you
doing...", not "Why are you...". Acts 21:13 contains parallel
phraseology, where at least a little disapproval also fits the
context, where Paul asks his companions "What are you doing weeping"
prophecy.

What think ye? Is this a legitimate reading of the Greek
construction?

In Love to God and Neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University