Adverbs as Adjectives

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Sun Mar 22 1998 - 08:20:14 EST

Several days ago I was mulling over line 15 in Agamemnon (Aeschylus)

and wondering why BEBAIWS was modifying a noun. I didn't take me long to find
this in Smyth #1096 and #1097. Then my thoughts turned to the NT and I decided
to see if adverbs ever functioned as adjectives in the NT. I could not
immediately find anything in BDF so I scraped the dust off of A.T. Robertson
and there it was on page 547. Robertson gives several examples, the first is
Romans 3:26 EV TWi NUN KAIRWi.

I don't know why I get excited about this kind of thing, other than the fact
that it helps support the "form not equal to function" approach to syntax.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062