Re: (phonemes) Particle Construction of (Greek) Words

From: Glen Riddle (
Date: Sun Mar 22 1998 - 22:04:25 EST

In addition to Edgar's fine input: ME. eschewen, eschuen, fr. OF.
eschiuver, eschiver, eschever, 'to shun', fr. Frankish *skiuhan, which is
rel. to OHG. scheuen, 'to fear, shun, shrink from', MHG. schiech, G.
scheu, 'shy, timid'. It. schivare, 'to avoid, shun, protect from' (whence
F. esquiver, 'to avoid, dodge'), derives fr. It. schivo, 'shy, bashful',
which is a loan word fr. WTeut. *skiu, 'shy'. skew is a doubliet of
And, while we're at it, does anyone know etymology of skivvies. The double
v is most unusual in English.