Re: Another Carson Question--Sort Of

From: Mark O'Brien (markus@upnaway.com)
Date: Fri Apr 10 1998 - 12:37:44 EDT

At 08:36 AM 4/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On page 84 of _Exegetical Fallacies_, Carson discusses the GS Rule.
>Carson (as do others) says that the GS Rule applies to persons and
>**things**. Others insist that the "rule" only applies to PERSONS.
>
>Who is right?

I believe, IMHO, that Wallace has done the most exhaustive work on the
Granville Sharp Rule... you should read either his PhD dissertation or the
summary of this in his grammar. The bottom line (according to Wallace)...
GS applies only to those cases where:

1. neither noun is impersonal
2. neither noun is plural
3. neither noun is a proper name

Hope this helps...

M.

-----
Rev. Mark B. O'Brien
Assoc. Pastor, Subiaco Church of Christ, Western Australia
Lecturer, South Perth Christian College, Western Australia

markus@upnaway.com
-----
To attack a man for talking nonsense is like finding your mortal enemy
drowning in a swamp and jumping in after him with a knife. --Karl Popper