Re: Another Carson Question--Sort Of

From: Larry Ingram (
Date: Sat Apr 11 1998 - 00:56:22 EDT

AgapeLove9 wrote:
> >I believe, IMHO, that Wallace has done the most exhaustive work on the
> >Granville Sharp Rule... you should read either his PhD dissertation or the
> >summary of this in his grammar. The bottom line (according to Wallace)...
> >GS applies only to those cases where:
> >
> >1. neither noun is impersonal
> >2. neither noun is plural
> >3. neither noun is a proper name
> There is a more recent work than Wallace's that deals exhaustively with the
> Granville-Sharp Rule. Greg Stafford, in his new book "Jehovah's Witnesses
> Defended - An Answer to Scholars and Critics", (1998), 221-248 refers to and
> commends Wallace on his research, and then further demonstrates the
> eligibility of "quasi-proper names" (name from Kuehne) in the category of #3
> above for exclusion under the Granville-Sharp Rule. This extensive treatment
> is presented in the chapter "Excursus - The Significance of Article-Noun-Kai-
> Noun Constructions In Passages Relating to the Divinity of Christ." I
> recommend you include this reading in your research.

Since I do not have Mr. Stafford's book but do have a copy of GS book, am I
to understand that the list would now read according to Mr. Stafford:

GS applies only to those cases where:

1. neither noun is impersonal
2. neither noun is plural
3. neither noun is a proper name
4. neither noun is a "quasi-proper name"

> Mark Jones

Please visit and link up to the sites listed below: [Christian Web Site of the Day] [Top 100 Christian Links] [In the Beginning...] [Watchtower Review] [Answers to JWs] [Major Cults] [Utah Missions, Inc.] [Watchtower Review Live Chat] [ChristChat] [LDSchat] [CultChat]