Re: Dead Sea Mark

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Sun Apr 26 1998 - 13:26:37 EDT

Fivefree wrote:
>nichael@sover.net writes:
>
><< the legend of
> the lone genius who suffers endless years of supression at the hands of the
> entrenced "guild" only to emerge victorious and to be shown to have been
> "right all along" is virtually always exactly that: a fairy tale. >>
>
>I take it you've never heard of Galileo, Copernicus and others?

Indeed I have. And they provide as strong a case for the point I was
atempting to make as any.

More to the point --and perhaps singularly relevant in the current
context-- we should note that opposition to their views came almost
exclusively from ecclesiastical and political circles. In scientific
communities (at least in countries where free thought was not so subject to
dogmatic censure --one thinks of, for example, Holland) their views were
accepted early and with great fervor.

(Likewise Darwin, in reference to another, somewhat confusing response to
this message.)

Nichael Cramer
nichael@sover.net Gather the folks, tell the stories,
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/ break the bread. -- John Shea