Re: Either/Or?

From: Jim West (
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 15:53:31 EDT

At 02:38 PM 4/27/98 -0700, you wrote:
>How would the Loeb Classical Library volumes (Greek on one page, English
>on the other) on the Papyri (3 volumes, I believe) do for this kind of
>extra-NT Koine reading?

Excellently (but just make sure you cover up that dreadful english side-
else you will be to tempted to look only at the Greek) :)
In fact, anything you can get your hands on would be great. The current
discussion, which seems to fragment knowledge of Greek into subspecialties,
is unfortunate on two counts:
1- folk should be willing to read! Regardless of the so called sanctity of
one set of documents over against another.
2- Such a discussion demonstrates how far the notion of "secular v.
religious" has permeated our culture. Such a distinction did not exist in
the ancient world- so that every text was "religious". Homer, Pindar,
Lucian, Cicero, all were "religious" authors. Just as much as Paul, Peter
(?! ha) and John.

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology