Re: Theos

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 12:48:31 EDT

At 11:25 AM -0500 5/4/98, wrote:
>Jack Kilmon wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > Jack ~
>> >
>> > The one I have been 'looking' at is the etymological relationship, if
>> > there is one, between the Egyptian Horus and the Greek HORAW.

This is playing the etymological game in a fast-and-loose, altogether
off-the-wall speculative fashion. hOROS and hORAW are of strictly
Indo-European provenance, the PIE root being *WER with the sense "watch,"
"watch over." While there may very well have been some later Hellenistic
syncretistic speculation over associations between the Egyptian Horus and
Greek hOROS, hORAW (comparable to the associations of Thoth with Hermes
TRISMEGISTOS in the Hermetic literature), I'd think one ought to be quite
wary of speculating on any ancient primary association of the Greek words
and the Egyptian divine name.

Carl W. Conrad
Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 OR