Re: I Cor. 1:20

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Wed May 06 1998 - 16:49:58 EDT

At 02:56 PM 5/6/98 -0500, you wrote:

>>Yup.
>
>If I may pedantically cross the I and dot the T here (if you take my
>meaning), we do tend in English to use the article with a noun in the
>singular when it is generalized; the same meaning, however, could have been
>given in English with a generalizing plural WITHOUT an article: "Where are
>the sages? Where are the scribes? Where are the orators?"

Excuse me, but isn't "the" an article? Havn't you just exchanged the plural
for the singular and kept the article intact?

(I realize its been a long day and my little brain isnt working very well,
but I am almost positive that "the" is in fact an article. THE definite
article, right?)

>Carl W. Conrad

Jim

Jim West, ThD