Re: Hardening of the Categories

From: Rod Decker (
Date: Sun Jun 07 1998 - 11:05:54 EDT

clayton suggested that:

>I am not suggesting that we create a new system of categories. Far from it. I
>am suggesting that we throw out the system of categories altogether.
>The alternative to this system of categories is a rigorous linguistic
>description the meaning of each case, verb tense, etc. within the K. Greek
>language system. Take the genitive** case as an example. There needs to be a
>separation between the meaning of the genitive case and the multitude of
>functions a genitive substantive may have in context. Confusion between these
>distinct issues is like confusing symbol, sense and referent in lexical
>semantics. We can start by proposing a single-invariant grammatical meaning
>of the genitive case form (contra my previous arguments) while recognizing

It might be helpful to take a look at: Louw, Johannes P. "Linguistic Theory
and the Greek Case System." *Acta Classica* 9 (1966): 73-88. He pursues a
similar approach as to the semantics of the cases.

(My schedule just now precludes extended dialog on some of the topics
raised, esp. re. the perfect and aspect. Sorry.)

 Rodney J. Decker Baptist Bible Seminary
 Asst. Prof./NT P O Box 800 Clarks Summit PA 18411 <new URL!

b-greek home page:
To subscribe,
To unsubscribe,[]