KLAW ARTON - Having a meal?

From: Wes Williams (WesWilliams@usa.net)
Date: Sun Jun 21 1998 - 19:03:49 EDT

I've always view the expression KLAW ARTON as idiomatic of "having a meal"
outside the specific references to the Memorial of Jesus' death. I find that
some hold that every occurrence of KLAW ARTON refers to the eucharist, even
with Paul and the soldiers in Acts 27:35.

As for Acts 20:7, my difficulty seeing this as a formal Eucharist observance
is that the breaking of bread was to commemorate the day of his death, not
the day of his resurrection. As a result, I concur with those who hold to
the translation "having a meal" in this verse.

Is there support in the Koine of the period that KLAW ARTON was idiomatic?

I also include Louw-Nida to solicit comments. Louw-Nida supports the
idiomatic expression.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams

23.20 ARISTAW; DEIPNEW ARTON KLAW (an idiom, literally ╬to break breadÔ):
to eat a meal, without reference to any particular time of the day or to the
type of food involved - ╬to eat a meal, to have a meal.Ô ...

ARTON KLAW KLWNTES TE KAT OIKON ARTON ╬eating (together) in their homesÔ or
╬having meals (together) in their homesÔ Ac 2.46. The implication of ╬eating
togetherÔ comes from the total context.
EN DE MIA TWN SABBATWN SUNHGMENWN hHMWN KLASAI ARTON ╬on the first day of
the week we gathered together for a mealÔ Ac 20.7. No doubt the reference in
Ac 20.7 is to the ╬fellowship meal,Ô called ╬agape,Ô which constituted the
early Christian form of the ╬LordÔs Supper.Ô See 23.28.

In some languages it is impossible to speak of ╬having a mealÔ without
indicating the time of day or the nature of the food consumed.

---
b-greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek