Re: Josephus Antiquities 3.1.173

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Mon Jun 29 1998 - 20:44:43 EDT

At 07:49 AM 6/30/98 +0800, you wrote:

>>As for the substance of the question, my own guess--and it is nothing more
>>than a guess--is that AGGELOI became a LXX variant for hUIOI in Gen 6:3
>>precisely because of the polytheistic implications of hUIOI QEOI in the
>>Hebrew text (at least in the Masoretic text)
> I'm sorry, my Hebrew is rudimentary, why would hUIOI QEOI
> be polytheistic in Hebrew? and is it so in other semitic
> texts?
> Best regards
> Steven

Carl is correct- the Hebrew "beney Elohim" is plural- and is generally taken
to mean that the author of the text has a polytheistic viewpoint- i.e., gods
sit in council and carry out their business, for the phrase, 'sons of gods'
means just that, lots of gods. This ancient polytheistic view of God would
have been a tad difficult for the translators of the LXX, who transform
these deities into 'angels'- lesser, subordinate deities. Other ANET's alos
describe a plethora of gods sitting in council and debating humanity's fate.
Any of the Uagaritic myths, for instance, will show this, as will the great
Babylonian epics.

Jim West, ThD
Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
Adjunct Professor of Bible,