Re: How to study, what to use....

From: David L. Moore (
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 09:59:31 EDT

At 01:34 AM 7/18/98, Norman Frederick Schafer wrote:
>Where can I find koine texts besides the New Testament ones? Is there a
>web site that has some? I've only been able to find Classical Greek. If
>there's nothing on the web, where can I buy koine texts?

        Loeb Classical Library publishes three volumes of selected texts from the
papyri found in the Egyptian desert which are letters, legal papers, poems,
etc. I mention these volumes because they are more economical than trying
to get the original publications of the papyri.

        Other writers, besides the LXX already mentioned by Robert Bower (and to
that, among Jewish writings, we should add Philo, Epistle of Aisteas, Greek
Enoch and the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs), are Polybius, Diodorus
Siculus, Strabo, Plutarch, Epictetus, Artemidorus, Pseudo-Apollodorus,
Vettius Valens, _et al._. I'm not familiar with all of these in Greek, but
they are works mentioned as belonging to the Koine corpus in that very
informative introduction to the BAGD (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New

David Moore

David L. Moore
Miami, Florida, USA
Home Page: