From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Sun Aug 09 1998 - 19:23:53 EDT

Mark 6:2 has this phrase:

I'm uncertain that I am reading it correctly. Should I read it like this?

POQEN whence
TOUTWi unto this one
TAUTA these things

So the whole phrase means basically "where did this one get these things
from?" And what kind of dative is TOUTWi - is it a pure dative, "to/for
this one"? Or is it instrumental "by this one" - "whence come these things
by means of this one?" Granted, that last sentence isn't English, but I
hope it is clear what I'm trying to say.

Also: how unusual is this phrase? What social register would it belong to?

Jonathan Robie

Little Greek Home Page:
Little Greek 101:
B-Greek Home Page: