Re: Romans 8:28

From: George Athas (
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 18:00:45 EDT

The problem with seeing PANTA as the subject of SYNERGEI is the
discrepancy in number (as Ben mentioned). PANTA is plural, SYNERGEI is
singular. It seems that "God" is the implied subject of SYNERGEI, but
not explicitly stated since "God" was mentioned in the opening part of
the statement. Thus, I do not think we can legitimately see PANTA as the
subject. We can, however, see it as an emphatic object (emphatic due to
syntax). Yet, I wonder if we cannot see PANTA acting adverbially here,
in the sense of "always" - thus giving the reading:

For we know that regarding those who love God, he always works for good,
for those who, according to plan, are called.

What say others?

George Athas
-University of Sydney & Moore Theological College
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at