Re: DIAKRINW (emphasis on 1 Cor 11:31)

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sat Aug 15 1998 - 11:34:26 EDT

At 04:14 PM 8/15/98 +0800, you wrote:
>We are working on our understanding of DIAKRINW as found in the New
>Testament. One of the options that we are examining is the concept of
>balancing the pros and the cons, picking up on "evaluation".

OK- I'm gonna climb out on the limb I often occupy and offer my own
understanding of the significance of the preposition attached to krinw.

I think when the word is used without the preposition attached, it merely
means "decide, judge, discern". When the preposition is added, however, the
meaning becomes "condemn". That is, from a fairly neutral sense to the
negative sense of condemnation or damnation.

>I noticed that 1 Cor 11:31 has both DIAKRINW and KRINW: EI DE EAUTOUS
>It appears to me that the KRINW form emphasizes the punishment or
>sentencing part of the activity in this passage. However, I realize
>that the word in general involves the entire legal activity including
>the hearing of the evidence. How far off would we be to allow DIAKRINW
>to mean, in general, "through the activity of judging," thus picking up
>on the combination with the preposition? As we looked at the other
>instances of this word in the New Testament, it appeared like most cases
>would allow for the word to refer to the activity of weighing or
>balancing out the positives and negatives of an action or case.

I'm with ya here.

>I'm willing to grab a towel if we're all wet.

Stay dry- I think you're right.

Jim (on a limb)

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible
Quartz Hill School of Theology

"es ist Schuld und VerhŐngnis aller Kirchen, dass sie zu viel Dogmatik und
zu wenig Jčngerschaft praktizieren" E. KŐsemann