Re: DIAKRINW (emphasis on 1 Cor 11:31)

From: Bill Ross (
Date: Sat Aug 15 1998 - 21:03:46 EDT

I think when the word is used without the preposition attached, it merely
means "decide, judge, discern". When the preposition is added, however, the
meaning becomes "condemn". That is, from a fairly neutral sense to the
negative sense of condemnation or damnation.

Keeping my towel on the seat next to me....

One would expect "kata" as the preposition, and there is such a word, and it
does mean condemn (Strongs 2632). Since that word was available to Paul, I
think there's something else he had in mind.

Also, in some uses the negative connotation seems to not work (Matt.16:3)

The original sense of the word had a nuance of putting space between two

How about "distinquish"? Or "discriminate"?