Re: Trench's Synonyms of the NT

From: Phillip J. Long (
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 10:57:21 EDT

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998 08:55:44 -0500.....

James Ware Said...

>BTW, since the question of the best edition has come up a couple of times:
>the best edition is the 11th (1890), if you can find it, but the 9th
>edition (1880) is just fine.

I have the 12th, 1894, "corrected and enlarged." There is no
prefeace to the 12th edition (as in the 8th and 9th editions.) Anyone
know the difference from the 11th? I suspect it is minor.

Ben Crick said....

> Also on my shelves (and frequently consulted) are his /Notes on the Parables/

I too have this volume, although I find the allegorical method used
quite a bit. It is a good 19th century work, but the methodolgy is
very dated.

Phillip J. Long
Asst. Prof. Bible & Greek
Grace Bible College