Re: the sense of APOLEIA

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 23:15:59 EDT

On Tue 18 Aug 98 (20:57:37), rrmillho@hewitt.com wrote:
> Obviously, there are some theological undertones in a question such as
> this, but my intention is merely to flesh out an understanding of the
> word itself. I am not interested in sparking a theological debate of
> any kind and I hope that this will not precipitate one.

 Roy, the last thing I want is a theological discourse! 8-)

 In lighter vein, I throw in this curious definition of the conqueror
 Napoleon's activities:

 NAPOLEWN APOLEWN POLEWN OLEWN LEWN EWN (E Cobham Brewer, /The Reader's
 Handbook/, s.v. Napoleon I)

 IMHO this only makes sense if APOLEIA means Destruction.

 In holiday mood,
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF