Re: Compound subjects with hH?

From: Paul Zellmer (
Date: Sat Sep 05 1998 - 18:38:05 EDT

Ben Crick wrote:

> On Sat 5 Sep 98 (16:12:52 +0800), wrote:
> > In our review of James 2:14-16, we came across in verse 15 the
> > following construction:
> >
> Dear Paul:
> It's verse 15 : EAN ADELFOS *H* ADELFH KTL...

Thanks, Ben. Carl already pointed out the transcription error.

> The word H is with a smooth, not a rough breathing; and a grave accent:
> "If a brother *or* a sister be naked...". The verb hUPARCWSIN is 3rd Pl
> Present Active Subjunctive, plural because it is a compound subject,
> ADELFOS H ADELFA [either, or both].

It's the "both" that I'm looking for another example of. Could you
point me to one?

> We have the same convention in these gender-equal P.C. days; "he or she
> are", not "he or she is".

Maybe in your dialect, but this is true only in a subjunctive use in my
dialect, and then only with the form of past tense (if he or she
*were*). In fact, it is one of the marks of the subjunctive. In greek,
however, the subjunctive is marked in the verb itself, not in its
number, right?

> We even use the plural pronoun for the non-
> gender specific pronoun he/she when it is singular. "If someone wants to
> come, *they* should say so beforehand".

This is a traditional way of getting around the "he/she". Again, in
greek, it is not
a conventional use for this. They simply used 3ms, right?

> I daresay it is the same in modern
> Filipino?

Actually, Filipino does not have a 3ms or 3fs pronoun. It has only a
common pronoun
for the third person singular. This is a very common feature in the
language family
that Filipino is part of.If you or someone else could help me with
another example of
H as a coordinating conjuction, I would be greatly appreciative.

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines