Re: TH FWNH in Acts 14:10a

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 15:18:11 EDT

At 2:05 PM -0500 9/8/98, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>In Acts 14:10a NA27 reads EIPEN MEGALH FWNH, some manuscripts insert TH before
>FWNH. If I understand this correctly, the insertion of TH would change MEGALH
>from an attributive to a predicate adjective.
>Alford makes the cryptic comment that TH was omitted by scribes who didn't
>understand it's significance. I must admit that I am with the scribes here
>because for me the insertion of TH introduces nothing but problems. Could
>someone explain the syntax of this verse given TH FWNH as the accepted

In this instance I don't know that MEGALHi being predicative would be so
terrible: "... spoke with his voice (being) loud."--i.e. NOT in his normal
tone, but much louder.

It's not that the article is required (he said loudly); but it seems to me
that THi FWNHi MEGALHi is the more forceful.

Carl W. Conrad
Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 OR