Re: Is God "happy" or "blessed"?

From: Jack Kilmon (
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 21:04:22 EDT

Edgar Foster wrote:
> Dear B-Greekers,
> I will succinctly state my question. How do you understand TOU
> MAKARIOU QEOU in 1 Tim. 1:11? According to this text, is God happy,
> blessed, or both?

My take on it is that it implies a "pronouncement" of blessedness,
therefore "God (pronounced) blessed." The Greek word may be
slightly different in meaning when used as translational Greek
for the Aramaic TOObehon (as in the beatitudes) where the Semitic
meaning is a ground somewhere between being blessed and fortunate
but not really "happy."
Das ma `pinion anywaze.

Min d'LA rokHEM l'maRAN yeSHUa meshyCHA niheYAH. maRAN aTHA

Jack Kilmon