Re: Is God "happy" or "blessed"?

From: Edgar Krentz (
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 04:38:20 EDT

>Dear B-Greekers,
>I will succinctly state my question. How do you understand TOU
>MAKARIOU QEOU in 1 Tim. 1:11? According to this text, is God happy,
>blessed, or both?
>Edgar Foster
>Lenoir-Rhyne College

I take this to be the application of a typical hellenistic descriptor of
the gods to the God of Israel. Epicurus in his KURIAI DOXAI defined the
gods as blessed [MAKARIOS] and therefore noet aware of humans. If you check
out LSJ, I suspect you will find other references. [Written without ancient
texts of LSJ at hand.]

Edgar Krentz
Acting Dean, Fall Quarter 1998
Professor of New Testament Emeritus