From: Bill Ross (
Date: Sun Sep 13 1998 - 18:32:57 EDT

***** WARNING ****** Much Interpretation Follows:

>The notes in "The Word in Life Study Bible" suggest another possible
>interpretation, roughly "but if someone wants to make a fuss about this,
>look, neither we nor the churches really have a policy on this". How
>plausible is this interpretation? Can it really mean this?

My take: The context of 1 Cor 11 is NOT Paul establishing a custom, but
responding to some who were insisting on a custom of head covering FOR MEN.
Paul is saying, "if someone is creating a ruckus about men covering their
heads, he didn't get it from us. This is not a Christian custom". It is
currently a Jewish custom, though.