Re: OUAI = "DAMN"?

Date: Mon Sep 14 1998 - 17:18:23 EDT

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> If we attempted to express the force of MAKARIOS/MAKARIOI with a "Good for
> you!", then what would be the alternative for the OUAI? "There's Hell to
> pay!"?

Why not? It's a good expression taken from the golden age of sail,
[19th century], and the rest of it is: "And no pitch hot!" ~ Refers to
the practice of paying the deck planking seams on the big sailing
ships with hot pitch to make them water-tight. 'Twas a huge and not
very popular job...

So is this word a compound of OU-A-EI? And if so, how does it work,
and is it relevant?

Lisa Messmer..................ICQ# 5666415
George Blaisdell

Have you seen Dulcie? Look for her Heart!

Last Chance for Animals...Fight Pet Theft!